firstegg

firstegg
Our First Egg!

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Planned Breedings & West Coast Classic Update

Our next breeding will take place THIS weekend.


First off, we are going to breed Pudge back to Blueberry. We will have rabbits then to spin from. We wanted more white-ish rabbits, as they went fast to spinners. Also, I want a couple more white rabbits to keep for myself, to make sure I have plenty of wool to spin from. We also want white-ish rabbits WITHOUT red eyes (kinda creepy to some people). Pudge and Blueberry should make just about all white-ish smoke-pearl chin rabbits. And maybe some does this time, that would be nice. Pudge also has a very nice body & wool, which will be great for breeding and spinning. He will definitely add quality, along with Blue, of course, to this litter.


Winchester and Pumpkin will breed for the first time together, and Pumpkin will kindle for the first time. They should make nice agouti rabbits, as the parents both have very nice bodies and dense wool. I like the prospect myself of having interesting agouti colors to spin from, without having to dye the wool. I have been looking into adding in very small bits of flashy material to my agouti wool, to make it really {POP}. I like the wool rings. These will be show, pet, and fiber bunnies.


We are going to West Coast Classic show in Reno on April 8-10th. Just about everyone I have left is going to the show, if I can manage to get them there (short on travel cages). At the show, I will be on the lookout for a "self" buck or doe to purchase. It seems I have a lot of agouti. Some, would prefer selfs for spinning and show. Want to have something for everyone.


The Northwest Angora Association (which we just joined) will also have a booth, and be hosting the fiber event at the West Coast Classic. I am super excited to see what others have been spinning with their angora! I also want to talk to more spinners about blending angora, and spinning techniques. They will also have demos. Can't wait!


I have seen people spinning directly from angoras on videos, and I wonder if anyone will demo that technique. Although, I have enough problems learning to spin without also holding a rabbit on my lap. Pudge, however, would be perfect for that, as he is VERY calm, almost to be point where you wonder if he is "okay" at times. He has been hauled around since birth by the kids, and it shows.


It will also be time to register Pumpkin, Blue, and Winchester with ARBA. All are "at weight" and "of age."

No comments:

Post a Comment