firstegg

firstegg
Our First Egg!

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Leaders Show, update on Ash (sold)

This Saturday we attended the Leaders 4-H Show at the Livestock Events Center in Reno. We met many nice people, and explained a little about our low-maintenance French Angoras, and harvesting wool.

 Our friends from Black Diamond Rabbitry had their spinning wheel with them, and could show people about what spinning from Angora wool looks like, and the finished product. Charlotte also made the most adorable needle-felted bunnies from alpaca, and felted soap covers from angora. They also had several pairs of gloves available for people to see, that they had spun from thier own angoras, with yarn they dyed themselves. I was so impressed! I really need to get spinning now that I have some wool to spin from (Pumpkin finally shed her first coat in January, Blue shed, and I prematurely took 3 oz of wool from Winchester).

We entered three rabbits in the show, two of which were for sale. Our kit Oyster won First Place, Coal won Second. Winchester (sire) won Best of Breed. I was surprised that he won, as I had prematurely harvested 3 oz of wool from him (oops; rookie mistake). He was looking naked to me, I could even see his tail, but his very nice body put him in the winners circle, if you will. We had only brought him so that my son could do showmanship with him, as I was sure he did not have enough remaining density to do well. Goes to show, you never know what a judge will do. Winchester got a nice cage tag.

But, in more important news, Evan won First Place in Novice Showmanship! His hard work paid off, and he took home a ribbon and water bottle for his efforts, as well as the pride of accomplishment.

We sold our kit, Thumper to a nice woman. She plans to spin from him, further proving that I need to get spinning with my wool, and make some products to show and use. First, I need to purchase wool carders to align my wool, as I stored it in bags, and it is in a big ball now. Rookie mistake two.

An update on Ash, from Blueberry and Winchesters first litter did very well in his second show this weekend. He won two legs among four entants and 15 rabbits in his class! Way to go Ash!



No comments:

Post a Comment